Monday, December 14, 2009

Us and Them...

We always do this. There is always an us and a them. The “us” feels like they could never, ever be the “them.” The question is, where then did the “them” come from? It came from the “us.” In terms of the homeless, there is no “them and us.” Their socioeconomic place in life, bears nothing on the fact that we are all made in the image of our Creator. We all fall short of the glory of God. None of us are righteous. We all stand on the same level before God. The same blood that was shed by Jesus Christ saves us all, if we have faith and believe that Jesus is Lord. So then where did this “us and them” thing come from?

First of all, I was here. I was an “us” guy. Don’t mistake my previous tirade as an attempt to say that I am beyond making such a distinction. I was unable to get past this on my own though. The world tells us otherwise, there are groups of people and often those groups are defined by economic lines. So I could not simply watch a TV special and suddenly know that the homeless are no different than myself. I had to get out of my house and meet them. Now I know that these men, whom I have the privelege of calling my friends, are no different than myself. Their flesh cries out for the same things that mine has the potential to cry out for. We stand equally before the Creator. We are both saved by the blood of Jesus Christ. They are trying to piece their lives back together and I am busy complaining about why mine is not quite where I would like it to be. But we are no different.

So, as the Body of Christ, what are we to do with the homeless, the widow, the orphan and slave?

He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.
Micah 6:8

We have all received the greatest mercy that can ever be.

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless,
Christ died for the ungodly.
Romans 5:6


Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Colossians 3:12-14

No comments:

Post a Comment