Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What do you know?

Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion, survey says - latimes.com
After reading the above story, what do you think? How accurate do you think this is? If it is, what does this say about the teaching that the "C"hurch is providing? Should we aim to have congregations full of baby Christians who don't even know what they believe and/or why they believe what they think they believe?

After reading this, I am left with questions and challenges.

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

1 comment:

  1. I am certainly left with questions myself. In my heart, I would like to challenge the survey. I would like to believe that we as Christians in the "C"hurch have a grasp of the grace that has brought us to life in Christ. I would like to believe that those conducting this survey just so happened to talk to a few "fringe" Christians who dabble in and out of pews a few times a year. The problem is, my heart seems to be a bit naive at times. Taking a hard and truthful look at the biblical knowledge of current generations reveals the drastic truth... it's lacking (yes, this might be an understatement). And that is where my thoughts are focusing today, "Generations." I could mention 40 people out of my small 150 people church that could go to bat in any Bible survey and blow the socks right off of it. The question is, "why are all of those people over 50?" Don't give me any of that "well, they've had time to marinade in scripture longer than others" crap. Something is missing in our current implementation of teaching the WORD. Do we need to include more of it in our Sunday morning worship Graphics? Throw it on quippy t-shirts and whore it out as just another catchy Christian sub-culture phrase attempting to grab someone's attention. Are we to think that a portion of Scripture should be given the same attitude and attention as the thousands of other media references that each of us have shoved in our faces daily? One things is for sure, I do NOT have all the answers. But this I know, The change of a culture, a people, a generation comes through God's people (Jesus' people) placing all things aside, grabbing a BIBLE and reading it with an expectancy for it to change their way of living. Deut. 6:5-9

    ReplyDelete