Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Being Thankful, Out of Season

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another. – Proverbs 27:17

I am thankful. Yes, I know that Thanksgiving has long been filed away in the basement, not to be brought out until next year, but I am thankful nonetheless. There is no law at this point that keeps me from being such outside of the month of November. I have had the privilege of having numerous godly men in my life that have guided my walk with Christ. Even before I knew Christ, God had both friends and mentors in my life that did know Christ and who planted seeds with me. When I was 19, God made himself known to me in all of those conversations, friendships and examples that I had previously experienced. But he did not leave me to myself at that point. In the course of my 7+ years walking with Christ, I have had men who have poured into my life in exceptional ways. I am grateful for their patience with me and their love for Christ. I have friends, very dear friends, who know, love and serve Jesus Christ and I am blessed to be surrounded by such brothers and sisters in the faith. In both those whom I consider a mentor and those whom I consider to be my friends, the verse above from Proverbs rings true. Many have sharpened and added to my faith and in the process they have taught me how to do likewise for others that God puts in my life. After all, that is what discipleship is. So friends and mentors, some of you know who you are and some have no idea that their lives have affected me so deeply, to all of you, thank you!

An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil all the days of her life. – Psalm 31:10-12

But, there is one in my life that I am exceedingly grateful for. There is someone that has been for me someone that God has used in ways that are inexpressable. As many people say, everyone’s conversion experience looks different and for me, my wife was one person that God used in tremendous ways as He brought me to faith in Jesus. She is my best friend and in many ways my pastor. I listened to a sermon from Tim Keller once, Marriage as Commitment and Priority, and he talked about how he never would have known the depths of his sin if it were not for his wife. No he didn’t make all sorts of dumb “husband talking about his nagging wife” jokes, he instead talked about the institution of marriage being part of our sanctification. I loved his words, because I resonate with this so deeply. Neither myself or my wife are perfect in the sight of God, but God deemed us to be perfect together that we might grow in Christ alongside one another. I am truly unable to do justice to the worth and value that my wife has had in my walk with Christ, my life, my spirit and my purpose. She has sacrificed much, loved much, encouraged much and prayed much for me. Together we are trying to discern God’s will for our lives and where He wants us to go. I cannot imagine going through any of this without her. Honey, I love you and I thank you!

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing...thank you for this...and thank you for being a man who is so madly in love with the Lord. XO

    ReplyDelete