Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Your vocation is to belong to Jesus

While reading for school, one of the commentaries that I am reading on Hebrews mentioned the above quote from Mother Teresa. This idea has been swirling around in my head and heart for a little while now and coming across this quote really affirmed what I have been thinking. I had a conversation with a mentor of mine, had a conversation with my wife, randomly read things, randomly listened to sermons and now I have come across this quote. The common denominator…all the same topic, which is how my calling, my gifts and my current situation are coming together. So what does that mean? Is that some sort of cosmic accident? Doubtful. This is usually a good sign that God is telling me something. The funny thing is, is that I know the answers in my head, but I am having a difficult time matching my head and my heart up on this one. So by this point I have placed you right in the middle of my thought process and you are probably clueless as to what I am talking about. I have this future out there in my head of how things are going to be. I can’t really define it and couldn’t completely explain it to you. I know a few things, but not many. However, it seems that I really have more of a detailed future set up in my mind than I think. I joke sometimes that at age 85 I am going to be saying that I am in a transitional period because I have always said that in every small stage of life that I have experienced thus far. There are things about my life that I am currently having a hard time accepting that they may be there to stay for a bit, which means that I am kept from being in “full time” ministry for that much longer. I used to have a very clear understanding of the fact that God had placed me specifically in the jobs that I had and among the people I worked with for a reason. It is almost like I am avoiding that now. It’s silly though, because I have obeyed God in the relationships and circumstances at work up to this point. So it is not as if I am totally going against Him, but I am not exactly surrendered totally to His will.

Here’s the deal, God has placed both you and me wherever we both are at RIGHT NOW! In a worldly sense we may feel like we are in a transitional period, but to God, there are NO transitional periods. Our entire lives are transitional and formative in terms of our walks with Christ. That life is what matters anyways…right? He uses every experience, every relationship, every job, every minute and He wastes nothing. Even when we steer away from His will in something, He is still there molding and shaping us through that experience. Therefore, it becomes very real that our vocation is to belong to Jesus. That means through everything! That means His will be done, not ours. What a scary prayer that is! What if I really meant that…what if we really meant that? We would be immensely different.

I am setting to the task of working hard to make this something that I am committing to the Lord in prayer. I really want to be in this place of accepting His will, living it and not living according to my own. If this is at all applicable to you, I encourage you to do this as well.

“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one—I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

“Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.


“Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.” - John 17:20-26

No comments:

Post a Comment